Game of Thrones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game of Thrones

Season 8 begins tonight after a 20 months absence (I think this has felt longer than when Hank went for a shit in Breaking Bad). Looking forward to it? Glad it's finally finishing? What do you think/hope goes down?

Even though the show has done down hill in recent seasons I can't wait to watch it tomorrow mostly because I sincerely doubt GRRM will ever finish the books so this is the closest thing we'll get to the story being complete (even if it won't exactly be his exact vision). Not going to lie I'm expecting to be visually blown away and narratively underwhelmed, much like the last 3 seasons but I have hope in my black heart that Dave and Dan can deliver better than what they have done. The only thing I don't want happening is Bran Marty McFlying events that have lead up to everything. I know it's a story about magic, dragons, sorcery and prophecy but please no time travel paradoxes.

thought it was pretty good for a season opener + table setting for the last stretch of the story. the right amount of fanservice reunions / exposition, with nice character moments as well.

i havent read the books though, and i went into this basically without having thought about GoT since the previous season (whenever a show i like takes a break i pretty much mentally detach from it entirely), so im kinda just along for the ride at this point. not really at the level of being able to think too critically about it.

Comment

My episode summary in a picture, it's not really a spoiler but I'm tagging it anyway.

SPOILER
      Last edited by Wayno; 04-15-2019, 06:39 PM.

Comment

I was kinda disappointed to be honest with you guys. I'm not really sure but has Game of thrones always had these really bad Marvel esque jokes that punctuate every serious moment? If it did in the past i felt like it was better written. At the point with the "blue eyes" joke I was rolling my eyes. I was pretty bummed just because how excited I was to finally see all the shit hit the fan but instead I got a Marvel Comedy.

Comment

Dialogue has gone down hill since season 5, especially Tyrion. I was mostly happy with the episode to be honest. It was all about reunions before they systematically slaughter 20 well establish characters in the next 7-8 hours of television. My only gripe was SPOILER the Jon riding a dragon scene went on too long and felt really cringe, the scene had to happen purely because it accelerates Jon's acceptance of his Targ heritage, but it was so cheese

Comment

Originally posted by sadistic_greyfox View Post
            I was kinda disappointed to be honest with you guys. I'm not really sure but has Game of thrones always had these really bad Marvel esque jokes that punctuate every serious moment? If it did in the past i felt like it was better written. At the point with the "blue eyes" joke I was rolling my eyes. I was pretty bummed just because how excited I was to finally see all the shit hit the fan but instead I got a Marvel Comedy.
            ya thats a good point, i noticed that too. although it didnt really take me out of it at the time—maybe just because i was watching with a group of ppl who were occasionally chiming in, so it sort of worked in that dynamic.

but i was watching some clips from the earlier seasons just today, and did notice how the dialogue used to be a bit less snappy and modern, and more "realistic". maybe just a byproduct of the show gradually becoming driven by the vision of hollywood tv writers.

Comment

Latest episode is faultless. Trial by combat if you disagree.

Comment

Agreed. Best episode in a long time.

Comment

If we say they go mostly off book from season 5 then it's the best episode since season 4, easily. Which makes it more frustrating that they can write something this good with no source material but didn't manage it for the previous seasons. I think it's in my top five episodes. I've read the books and I've accepted George isn't finishing them so the show is how everyone saying bye to these characters and I'm really satisfied that the first two episodes (but specifically 'A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms') have set the final season up well.

Comment

I enjoyed it alot more than the first, but also i was also in an altered state of mind for this ep. Im just surprised i got a new update on my phone where people seemed to have been convincedSPOILER That Arya was a Lesbiand how the hell did they infer that?

Comment

Spectacular to watch, edge of my seat the whole way through not going to lie, but, I feel short changed.

SPOILERI expected more major deaths. I kind of accepted no Tier A characters were dying, but I expected far more Tier B and C to bite it. The stakes felt really high due to last weeks build up and this was kind of lackluster in terms of being emotionally pummeled.

Am I being a prick about it?

Comment

SPOILERI think after how human and down to earth the last episode felt it felt weird that a LOT of characters were just left indefinitely surviving hordes of undead just because the battle didn't know what to do with them but also didn't have any plans for them to die. Parts of the episode were good but some of it I was kind of like okay well thats stupid.

Comment

SPOILERWho the fuck was in charge of Battle Strategy lmfao what a mess. Clearly never played Medieval Total War.

Comment

SPOILERThe more I think about it Episode 3 was a bit like masturbation, I enjoyed it at the time now I just feel a bit sad.

Sadness has made way for pure disgust and it's mainly down to Jon's 'arc'. His entire story and purpose has been defeating the Night King and the AotD. The prologue of the first book and the opening scene of episode one show us that the Walkers are End Game. The war for the living to exist has now been relegated to a B Story after The Iron Throne which is another reason to be annoyed but not my main gripe. Jon has literally died and comeback on his journey to save the living from the dead. As things stand he's been responsible for the Night King getting a dragon to breech the wall, massacring his people and in 'the battle for the dawn' he literally contributes nothing to The Night King dying. He literally screams at the Wight Dragon while everything resolves around him. I'm not saying Arya couldn't have been the person to kill TNK (maybe I sort of am, I think it was a decision made so people could say YAS KWEEN on Twitter or whatever kids say these days), but having Jon so redundant to this story resolution is absolutely appalling. Jon's arc is now going to be 'closed' in the war for the Iron Throne, something he's had no involvement in until now and ultimately shouldn't care about.

In Season 6 he's bailed out by Sansa, 7 by Dany and in 8 by Arya. They butchered my man,
                            Last edited by Wayno; 04-29-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah he's really been fucked over when it comes to his arc. I have no idea where he could go from here, but I feel like it will be two episodes of a copy-cat Robb Stark conquest.

SPOILERI think the dissatisfaction with this weird end to his TNK arc could have been fixed as easily as making Jon a major player in the battle rather than having him be absolutely useless on a dragon he's flew twice or maybe thrice before.
                              Jon is meant to be the person we've seen in Hardhome, The Battle of the Wall/Castle Black and BoB who rallies his closest brethren behind him, devises a small strategy and deals with it efficiently, inspiring everyone else to take the charge and give it their all. In BoB, it takes a different form in his defiance against the entire Bolton Army when his strategy goes awry. Yet there was no moment like that in the slightest. I honestly thought Eddison may be taking that role over when he saved Sam initially, crouching down beside him and explaining the situation and gathering a few men to go and lead a small charge, but nope. Man just died.

So yeah Jon's involvement in that battle was a huge injustice against his character. What's worse is that there were several other White Walkers, they could have had Jon kill one or two in some tense combat scenes with long, choreographed takes to add a reason for the armies to keep fighting against the dead and raise morale. Wouldn't have even needed to be a long scene either in that case. But as it stands they were totally and utterly wasted as threats and only added for some cool promotional material.

Comment

Working...
                              X