Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U need 2 play this! Rec a game that people should play that isn’t given enough credit

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U need 2 play this! Rec a game that people should play that isn’t given enough credit

I know the title is a bit subjective so try and humour me a bit. Basically no one needs to come in here and start recommending Red Dead, Fallout, Pokemon or any games like that.

I’m trying not to be too picky because I just want good discussion really. But try and have a proper think and don’t post anything too obvious.

To give an example i’ll kick off the thread with my personal recommendation which is Prey. To me this game is absurdly underrated. I think it somehow got a meta critic score of 76 which in video game terms is like, 5/10 basically. This is not a 5/10 game. It’s genuinely a piece of sci-fi horror excellence that everyone who considers themselves a “gamer” should play and enjoy.

So what about you guys? What do you people need to play that deserves more love in general?

Lol what a title. I'll give two, one which is a little better known and one which isn't.

A game which was well received upon release, has aged in an interesting way but still ultimately remains under the radar of many people is Dragon Age: Origins, it's got a cult fandom a bit and although it is a relatively big IP, it only really became big and notable with Inquisition on the PS4. Dragon Age: Origins for the PS3/PC/360 though is great, it's a game you play to engross yourself in the world and make decisions which will impact the story in a meaningful way, you wanna get to know characters and dig into their personal stories because the writing and lore for this game has a LOT to offer for dark fantasy fans. A lot of it has been ripped off essentially from A Song of Ice and Fire and the developers noted it was one of their main big inspirations for the game. Originally they wanted it to be entirely based on royal relations and claimants to the throne of the fantasy land you find yourself in, but they decided to give it an LOTR-esq Mordor sort of threat at the end of pre-productions.

if you're looking for good gameplay look elsewhere. It's a small step up from Baldur's Gate combat but both show their age a lot now, but should certainly be played no matter what.

Another title which I love to pieces and think should be more popular is [s]Super Mario Bros 2 baby[/s] Never Alone, a delightful little indie platformer about an eskimo girl and her arctic wolf friend, both can be controlled and give the game a really nice 2-Player couch co-op experience. I played it through with a girlfriend before and it was probably one of our favourite games together.

Comment

Soul Reaver series. 1st game is on PS1, 2nd and 3rd I believe are on PS2. The whole series is so beautifully written with fantastic dialogue, inner monologues, lots of depth to the two main characters, plot twists aplenty and some utterly fantastic/iconic lines. Heres the original trailer for PS1 and it just one of the most fantastic stage-setting intro cinematics I can think of. Now I dunno how "hidden" a gem this series is frankly, but its quite old at this point so many likely haven't heard of it. Here is the opening intro on youtube, btw;

A shade of true intent.

Comment

Another game I think should be played is Dragon's Dogma, its on PS3 and PS4 at least, dunno about other stuffs. The gameplay is alright, basically a mix of a more hack and slashy Dark Souls against regular enemies and kind of a Monster Hunter vibe against the boss monsters (of which there are quite a few) where you can climb on them to attack weak points and such. The dialogue can be a bit of a challenge to get into initially but the game is actually very well written and has the single best dragon I've come across in gaming, and is the reason for my posting it. The story starts of extremely generic and uniniteresting for the most part but it goes in a really crazy direction when you finally succed in your mission. Beyond that I won't say anything about story. Here is a scene involving the dragon though, its a great scene but does contain a small spoiler as to an NPC (though its more background info tbh).

A shade of true intent.

Comment

I'm actually in the middle of playing such a game. It's called 'Alpha Protocol,' which I got on Steam, which is a kinda Syphon Filter-y, Deus Ex-y stealth action third person shooter with shades of Metal Gear thrown in between, due to the game having a shit ton of boss fights with relatively colorful characters and CQC (though I think this game handles CQC better than MGS ever did since it adds heavy attacks and is a bit smoother). It came out like 8 or so years ago for last-gen consoles and was met with a resounding 'meh' from reviews. Like 6's and 7's across the board.

And I can see why. It's janky as hell. Like the animations are hilariously bad. Crouch movement honestly looks like Thorton's running around with his trousers around his ankles. And there's some real hilarious visual bugs, like a tank that blew up in a cutscene but, for whatever reason, didn't land where it was supposed to. Instead, it landed on fucking Thorton, so when he gets up, there's a goddamn tank on his face and his buddy's like, "Thank God you're alive!" I'm just like, "...Am I...?" And the aiming recticle is kind of a pain in the ass. It's too wide and often a crap shoot if you're gonna actually hit the target during a firefight.

In spite of that? I really dig this game and wanna do a review about it.

This game is really expansive. You have a story with tons of branching paths and open ended scenarios. Pretty much almost any boss you encounter, you can decide after defeating them whether to kill them, arrest them or let them go. And there's scenarios where you gotta choose one objective over another. It's very much more in line with Deus Ex's brand of storytelling than Syphon Filter or Metal Gear, and that open endedness to it lends itself to tons of replay value, especially since you'll be jacked with better gear and a much higher skillset if you replay the game. I also really like the feel of the gameplay. Sure, actually landing shots can occasionally be unreliable, but the actual act of getting into a firefight is really fun because gunplay doesn't feel like a dime a dozen third person shooter. It feels like a cross between Uncharted's gunplay and Deus Ex, in that there's plenty of cover mechanics, but like Uncharted / Syphon Filter, you can run and fire a lot as well. And just bumrushing terrorists and laying a beatdown is tons of fun too.

The boss fights are great. Like they mostly aren't super inventive like Metal Gear. It's much more in line with Deus Ex and Syphon Filter, in that several bosses are straight up shootouts with bad guys who possess unique weapons and have health bars, or certain vehicles, but there are the occasional colorful bosses with stages to 'em. There's also several mini-boss-esque targets who also have the means to be intense shootouts, but like Syphon Filter / Deus Ex, those enemies can be killed or knocked out quietly before any showdown can occur. On the subject, pretty much every cutscene is one of those branching conversation sort of cutscenes, and that can dictate where you stand with people or certain missions / intel you'll gather. And the more intel you pick on supporting characters, the more you know what they do and don't respond to.

What I love most about Alpha Protocol is its mission design. This is where the Syphon Filter comparison becomes stronger. Between Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and Syphon Filter, I've always believed Syphon Filter had the best approach for missions. Instead of confining you to one location for a few hours, it breaks up every single mission to unique, well designed levels all within a certain region. And each level is packed with weapons, cash, and intel files that warrant exploration without any levels feeling too big and annoying. You're always rewarded for going out of your way to places with cash and cash is valuable for picking up upgrades, weapons, gadgets, etc. And best yet, every mission is as long as it needs to be. What I love most about V as a game is that the missions never drag on. I hate it when it just feels like missions just go on and on and on because seldom are they ever doing enough to keep that shit consistently fun. Often times, length can make things drag. Alpha Protocol's missions are typically around half an hour or so for me, depending on how good or shit I am during any given mission, but there's always enough going on within each one that I'm down from start to finish. Only mission that felt like it dragged for way too long was a mission in a hotel, and that's because I reached a sequence I kept dying on and I get frustrated and stop wanting to play games if I die too much. Other than that, the duration was perfect for me.

Like Deus Ex, it also has a few hacking mini-games. One is trying to find two still codes in a moving stream of codes. Another is matching connections, and picking pressure sensitive locks. I only really like the code one since the other two are a fucking nightmare in harder hacking sequences. But depending on the skills you've unlocked, you can bypass them through alternate means.

Thorton's kind of a boring character compared to Snack or Adam Jensen. And I swear to Christ, every other fucking person in this game is voiced by either Nole-y North or Fred Tatasciore. But while the main characters can be a bit bland, the supporting characters are really fun, especially the crazy guy North plays. The villains are especially memorable. Like each country you visit has a kinda 'main boss' and the dude in China, Omen Deng, is a great 'bad guy spy', like something I'd see out of James Bond. The dialogue's pretty good too. And there's a perpetual intrigue to the narrative, especially when people start giving you the runaround and you're less and less sure you can and can't trust.

Alpha Protocol's the kinda game I really wanna make, like pretty much everything about it I love. I just think it needed just a wee bit more polish in...well...everything, to be a universally great game instead of a game that's hit or miss because of its many objective flaws. But hey, janky or not, this is the first game I've played in a long-ass time I legit wanna replay. And the fact that it takes inspirations from so many games that I love is certainly a plus.

Comment

Celeste. Which I know sounds absurd since it was nominated for GOTY and received pretty much universal critical acclaim, but it's still flying under so many people's radars and that makes me sad. A fast paced, side-scrolling puzzle platformer (in the same vain as something like Super Meat Boy), its masterful level design and responsive controls make this so fucking addictive. It's soundtrack is amazing, and its story is surprisingly deep and compelling. This simply has to be played, it's my personal game of the year in spite of all the ridiculously good games that have come out this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Ev. View Post
              Soul Reaver series. 1st game is on PS1, 2nd and 3rd I believe are on PS2. The whole series is so beautifully written with fantastic dialogue, inner monologues, lots of depth to the two main characters, plot twists aplenty and some utterly fantastic/iconic lines. Heres the original trailer for PS1 and it just one of the most fantastic stage-setting intro cinematics I can think of. Now I dunno how "hidden" a gem this series is frankly, but its quite old at this point so many likely haven't heard of it. Here is the opening intro on youtube, btw;
              I was considering recommending LOK but those games legit have rumours every year about HD remakes lol.

Comment

Soul Reaver is a good shout. Played the hell out of those games when I was a kid. I think it deserves an underrated tag.

Alpha Protocol has been mentioned to me before too.

Good stuff all round.

Comment

I bought Prey on your recommendation henry and I WILL play it eventually. I play games in the order of what I feel like at the time and I'm sure one day I'll be in the perfect mood to play Prey.

I'm gonna recommend Hollow Knight. It came out in 2017 but I played it this year when it released for Switch and I ended up 100%ing it. It might be my favourite game I've played this year (when I say stuff like this I tend to not count games like Smash Bros....for some reason.), its the best non-Metroid Metroidvania I've played and its just such a joy. The movement, the challenge, the world and the lore, the game is so well put together and the enemies and environments all stand out. Its also just a beautiful game, with wonderful music too. If you like Metroidvanias you should play this game, and if you like games with beautiful art and charm then you should play this game.

Comment

Right now, I'm playing No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again. It's definitely a flawed game but damned if I'm not having a lot of fun with it. I actually like combating these weird virtual skull guys more than the original beamsword fodder of the first two games. The music is pretty great, albeit not as good as catchy as the first two games.

And the bosses so far have been great. They feel more like bosses outta Furi than NMH but tbh I like the way combat feels here and how much more variety to the moves the bosses seem to have.

My biggest gripes are the regard system. I think for this kind of game, the recharge should've been scrapped. And for it to be pushing down on the movement button is murder because you can accidentally push it when you don't mean to and end up vulnerable to attacks.

Also the health system. In the previous games, there were occasional pizzas to find to boost health. Far as I can tell, saving and ramen stands are the only ways to regain health. And if you go into a boss fight with no Continues left, goooood fucking luck lol.

Also there's an Underale shirt.

Comment

I'm going to recommend EX Troopers. This game is a TPS on PS3 and 3DS (although I'd definitely suggest the PS3 version) and was made by the same people behind Lost Planet. It naturally has similarities to LP but it's a huge amount faster and is almost like an anime version of it but presented in comic-book style. I always found it fun and it genuinely has one of my favourite OSTs in gaming. You mix between high-octane missions and chill walking around your bases. It's a really vibrant and colourful game for one that is very action based. Oh yeah and the whole thing is in Japanese because it was never localised as it sold poorly which is honestly a shame as I really think it deserved to. There is also online modes in it (3v3 over relatively small maps) which I found really fun actually, but even then just after it was released in Japan it was pretty hard to find games unless you went online on peak Japan times. But as someone that had extremely basic Japanese at best going into it, it is easily one of my most fondly remembered experiences of last gen and I'd love to go back and play it again if I had the time.

Here's an example of some of the music:

Comment

Considering we spoke about Legacy of Kain above: anyone who wants to try out the franchise (all of the 3D games at least, omitting Blood Omen), Eidos Interactive games are having a sale on their entire Steam Library. Each game is 69 pence amounting to a total of £2.07 for one of the hands down best PS2 era 3D RPG adventure series.

Comment

Originally posted by Jassassino View Post
                          Considering we spoke about Legacy of Kain above: anyone who wants to try out the franchise (all of the 3D games at least, omitting Blood Omen), Eidos Interactive games are having a sale on their entire Steam Library. Each game is 69 pence amounting to a total of £2.07 for one of the hands down best PS2 era 3D RPG adventure series.
                          So worth it honestly, the games still up pretty well.

Comment

It's not even been a week yet, but Days Gone.

I remember saying it's gameplay looked superior to TLOU, which no one agreed with. And I can't really think of a single thing where it isn't. If you want to pick up a damn arrow in DG you don't have to spend ages trying to move a body in the exact right place. The stealth is vastly superior. There's nothing more satisfying than rolling from bush to bush and swiftly meleeing the enemy. The inventory system is one button that slows down the game, meaning you can craft a product on the fly without going through a menu. And although I can't imagine the story topping TLOU, it's no joke. It actually feels pretty light hearted, but there's some dark underneath all of it. One camp leader is an out and out right wing, tinfoil wearing, gun nut, who likes to spread propaganda. One is a slave owner basically, who gives no shits if someone she cares about is dead, just find her another "worker" 😂 I don't even think I've scratched the surface yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticola View Post
                              It's not even been a week yet, but Days Gone.

I remember saying it's gameplay looked superior to TLOU, which no one agreed with. And I can't really think of a single thing where it isn't. If you want to pick up a damn arrow in DG you don't have to spend ages trying to move a body in the exact right place. The stealth is vastly superior. There's nothing more satisfying than rolling from bush to bush and swiftly meleeing the enemy. The inventory system is one button that slows down the game, meaning you can craft a product on the fly without going through a menu. And although I can't imagine the story topping TLOU, it's no joke. It actually feels pretty light hearted, but there's some dark underneath all of it. One camp leader is an out and out right wing, tinfoil wearing, gun nut, who likes to spread propaganda. One is a slave owner basically, who gives no shits if someone she cares about is dead, just find her another "worker" 😂 I don't even think I've scratched the surface yet.
                              You can't be serious? I mean I have a track record of not being overly keen on TLOU. But this has got to be taking it a step too far.

Any TLOU fans want to weigh in? The Departed

Comment

Working...
                              X