Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Stranding

"Is this the year of the whale?"

EDIT: It is. Release date: November 8 2019.
    Last edited by Trimegadon; 05-30-2019, 01:06 PM.

I'm legit pumped for this game. It's story will inevitably be another Kojima game story, that is to say, "good ideas with some really good moments of brilliance mixed with some really bad narrative decisions and surface level thematics." And I couldn't care less tbh. I realize part of why I love V so much more than most people here is because I really don't care about video game stories anymore. The strongest writing in video games isn't gonna be what keeps me coming back for more. Really fun and enthralling gameplay is. Anything else, I can just watch on YouTube.

V was a really fun video game. Most fun I continue to have with games, in fact. So the fact that so many people from that crew are back for this game, and the fact that Deaf Streaking isn't held back by last gen limitations the way V was has me even more stoked. I'm not going in thinking it'll be the thing since sliced bread, but it could be if the focus is kept on really strong gameplay.

Like here's all I really want from Dead Steaks:

- Fun, stealth action gameplay

- A world that feels atmospheric and a orth exploring with secrets to unlock and hidden enemies to fight

- Functionally exciting boss fights that are open ended like V but more distinct from one another like MGS3

- For Maddy Mads to not be underused and to give him a goddamn boss fight (fuck your words and deeds, Kojima)

- Unique enemies with multiple means to eliminate or bypass

- For the multiplayer not to be invasive

- For the game to be a solid 20-30 hours, and not another game that takes half a lifetime to finish, because super long games are games I will never ever have any incentive to replay again

- The option to pick and choose missions or at least replay them

- For Normal Reedus to just use his normal fucking voice and stop doing his redneck Batmam voice

- The ability to fling a baby around like a Batarang

- For Dead Steaks not to bombard me with cutscenes every five minutes

- For cutscenes to not be so goddamn exposition heavy (if there's exposition, do the V thing of putting it all on tape and making it optional, don't force it down our throats)

So of the many games coming out this year, Delbert Standish is the one I'm most excited for. I want it to be a masterful gameplay experience because I don't care if it's surreal or if Kojima still thinks he is brilliant movie man. I just want a game to be fun and loaded with replay value. Gimme that and I'll give you my ass dollars, KojiPro.

Comment

Agree with you Dep on most of the stuff.
      Breath of the wild took some of the best gameplay aspects of mgs v and created a world that i think is the best open world to date. Now, if death stranding can take from BOTW some of its open air/world aspirations, it'll be enough for me to love it. Just please, for the love of god, no more motherbase stuff in the middle of nowhere!

Comment

Originally posted by Trimegadon View Post
        Agree with you Dep on most of the stuff.
        Breath of the wild took some of the best gameplay aspects of mgs v and created a world that i think is the best open world to date. Now, if death stranding can take from BOTW some of its open air/world aspirations, it'll be enough for me to love it. Just please, for the love of god, no more motherbase stuff in the middle of nowhere!
        Oh I doubt Dead Steaks'll have any sort of motherbase feature. Sony hasn't expressed any interest in Normal Reedus needing Ghost Baby Factory Insurance...yet...

But yeah, BotW was fucking aces as far as open world games go. It is the zenith of what an open world game should be because it's a massive open world literally sprawling with secrets, bosses, shrines and you can explore every square inch, to the point where something as simple as climbing a mountain is actually fun. (when it's not raining, fuck whoever decided the slip feature needed to be there).

My love of V stems from controls, the feel of gameplay and open-ended missions; where I can pull off ridiculous shit so organically. Based off the look alone, it feels like DS has a much harsher open world, similar to BotW, which I welcome. (So long as it's not like Surviveance where the survival elements are an insufferable nuisance.)

Based on those little snippets we've seen of Death Staring, it looks like a kinda mishmash of V for Virginia and Breast of the Wild. What I really hope, though, is that the climbing in Deaf Streaking is like BotW, where you can organically just climb fucking everything and not just a rope or crack in the wall or some shit. I wanna be like Knuckles where I can climb the highest mountain and find shit hidden up top.

Comment

Wait this games going to have multiplayer?

i just want to see some god damn gameplay lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Duck View Post
            Wait this games going to have multiplayer?

i just want to see some god damn gameplay lol
            Yeah, Kojima said way back when that multiplayer was a big part of Dead Steaks but that unlike Surviveance, it wasn't an always online thing or some shit. Who knows, maybe it's like Journey, only instead of coming across a bunch of different Travelers, it's just a bunch of different Normal Reedus' running around with Quiet's on their backs.

That or some bullshit about ropes and sticks and throwing babies at each other.

What little gameplay we saw at that last thing kinda looks like a cross of BotW and V, right down to crouch moving and pushing on the joystick to zoom the camera in. Still no word on how far we can throw our babies at people.

Also, apparently Skull Face and Black Mask had a baby and that baby grew up to be a Death Stranding:

Comment

If his name is Skull Mask, Kojima has lost creativity for character names.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me tbh. Troy Baker's character is literally named "The Man in the Golden Mask."

His goal is to make every characters codename sound like a James Bond movie at this point.

Comment

I want more than anything for this game to be good

Comment

I'm sure it will be. KojiPro knows gold game design and since Dead Steaks isn't restricted to last-gen console compatibility, there's more room to do interesting shit with the open world.

Just don't expect much from the story. Kojima's trying to be weird which means he's gonna get overly preachy which means "hellooooooo Mister Exposition" lol.

On the subject of gameplay, there was some sort of private demo played by the head of Guerilla; who did Horizon: Zero Dawn and they said they were speechless, so maybe we can throw our babies and our Quiet's at robot dinosaurs too. \_(:/)_/
                    Last edited by The Departed; 01-16-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

"I like to think I'm pretty schedule-savvy."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03...le-says-kojima

Comment

little behind schedule, HAHAHAHA. ohh kojima we've known you for like 20 years have you ever fucking been on schedule in your life?

Comment

I still have no idea what this game is even about? What's the actual gameplay about?

Comment

It's about Daryl Dixon delivering Quiet's on the Alien home planet while a masked Troy Baker creates venom dogs to eat Daryl and Quiet.

Also there are babies.

Comment

Originally posted by The Departed View Post
                              It's about Daryl Dixon delivering Quiet's on the Alien home planet while a masked Troy Baker creates venom dogs to eat Daryl and Quiet.

Also there are babies.
                              pretty accurate description.

Comment

Working...
                              X