What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are You Reading?

I see we already have all of the other versions of this thread in the other forums so I figured I may as well get this one started while I'm reading probably the most interesting book I've read yet: Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins. For those of you who have never heard of Goggins, he's one of the hardest motherfuckers alive. Retired Navy Seal. Broke the record of 4,017 chin-ups in 24 hours with 4,030 in 17 hours. Ran something like 60 ultra marathons in 2.5 years, at one point running 100 miles every weekend for 8 straight weeks. The list goes on. Thoroughly enjoying this book and would recommend it to anyone.

Other books I want to get into after this: Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink, 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson, The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, and Hagakure: The Book of The Samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo. I've already listened to most of the audiobook for The Book of Five Rings but I prefer reading. My attention span is too short to stay focused on the audiobooks but it's a good jogging partner.

The Long Halloween.
    One of the best detective stories of all time. Just hoping the film version doesn't dumb it down to be a generic action film
    ​​​​

Comment

Game of Thrones Book II currently. Trying to read much more lately. Also going to finish the final Platinum End copies I have in my possession borrowed currently tomorrow probably.

Is The Long Halloween good? Never heard of it honestly. I really enjoyed detective fiction I've read but it's very limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Jassassino View Post
        Game of Thrones Book II currently. Trying to read much more lately. Also going to finish the final Platinum End copies I have in my possession borrowed currently tomorrow probably.

Is The Long Halloween good? Never heard of it honestly. I really enjoyed detective fiction I've read but it's very limited.
        The GOT books are great. Yeah the long Halloween is a 350 page batman comic book and I believe it has a novel version too. It follows a team up between Batman, detective Jim Gordon and DA Harvey Dent as they investigate a series of brutal vigilante murders, where the serial killer is murdering Associates and family members of the organised crime mafia family the Falcones, that occur over the span of one year with the grizzly killings happening on festive holidays starting on Halloween, then thanksgiving, Christmas, the Easter weekend, St paddy's day, 4th of July then ending on Halloween again. Features quite a few villains and explores Bruce Wayne's relationships with Alfred, Harvey and catwoman. One of the most, if not the greatest mature and well written stories to come from the comic medium. It's also set a few years into batmans reign so he's still kinda new.

It's being adapted into a film with twilight's Robert pattinson as batman. If they are faithful it will be an instant classic and take the CBM to a whole new level but will also be hated by the mainstream as there is literally only two scenes where batman fights people lol. Not an action story whatsoever. Batman was never meant to be an action hero anyway. He was always a darker more gritty sherlock Holmes... Who just happens to know 150 martial arts lol.

Comment

LOL Jason did you assume it was a non-Batman book?

I'm occasionally reading the Hogfather on break at work.

Comment

Lmfao won't lie I did. Still sounds good though!

Comment

Audiobooks probably shouldn't count, but I'm onto The Book of Five Rings right now. I love this type of shit. Makes me wanna go back and read The Art of War again.

I think I'm gonna use my next free Audible credit on Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet by Jesse Itzler regarding his time with David Goggins. Jesse was on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast one day telling stories about his time with Goggins and it was hilarious so I'm thinking the book should be a good read (or listen).

Comment

Working...
              X